Chapter Head - Toronto
Career Deloitte, Herschel Supply Co.
Education University of British Columbia
Location Toronto, Vancouver
If my life had a movie title, it'd be called '100% Margin of Error.' I've never been stubborn about a single goal nor destination, but I've been very lucky with the people I meet and opportunities that arise by being at the right place, right time in good spirits.
1993: born in Ottawa to two beautiful, gifted and selfless parents
1994-2001: lived in Silicon Valley
2001-2007: had a way too ""padded"" upbringing in a Vancouver neighbourhood where every child was expected to become a lawyer, doctor, dentist or diplomat. Decided none of the above fit my personality nor interests (yet).
2007: started BCom in finance at UBC, a topic I surprisingly liked a lot after the decision, but never got involved in business clubs (does UBC Wine Club count?)
2013: attended my first Leaders conference and loved it!
2014: joined the Leaders family; had a life-changing conversation with a mentor from Accenture and decided my direction in life was far too unguided. Adopted Nike's motto to ""Just Do It"" and to stop being a chicken when I wanted to try new things. So the adventure began:
- May: went to New York and figured out life at conferences and by talking with anyone in daily tourist life: people in cafes, subways, sidewalks.
- Aug: began an internship with adidas Group's headquarters in Germany; had the time of my life. Please visit this country in your lifetime.
- Feb: moved to Nice, France to learn French
- June: returned to Vancouver and wrote CFA I
- July: worked as a financial analyst at Herschel Supply Co.
- Sep: returned to school feeling more settled and grounded than I've ever felt before.
2016: moving to Toronto to join Deloitte Financial Advisory!
It's been an especially strange past 1-2 years - I've been ridiculously lucky (didn't get killed riding a motorcycle with a stranger, didn't get money stolen when I lived in a sketchy area in Nice, had my German friends take care of me in emergencies) and full of joy.
In my free time, I love having people over for dinner, playing tennis, hiking in the mountains, recording songs, learning French/German and volunteering for marginalized communities.
Some of my goals in life:
1. lift up marginalized people; after spending so much time seeing the world, I'm almost ashamed to have such a comfortable upbringing, one which I never had to worry about my next meal nor shelter. I'm going to spend my career developing skills so I can find a way to tackle this issue at a high, societal level, while learning individual stories through volunteering.
2. write a novel
3. master German, Spanish and Korean
I AM HAPPIEST WHEN...
Someone says to me "I miss you" - which breaks my heart and fills it with joy at the same time - or "thank you". To know that I've made a difference in a friend, family member's, mentee's, colleague's or random's life is magical, a feeling all the money and time in the world can't buy.